Skip to main content

RG in IN

Poets from Indiana, Ross Gay


I know, you all are like, what? Nope, not Indiana. But wait! Yes, I know Ross Gay was not born in Indiana but next door in Ohio. I also know that he spent most of his life outside Indiana. Still, he's been at IUB since 2007, so he's had a long stint here, and he's clearly become important to Bloomington life, so yes, Indiana poet. And honestly, with his sense of joy, awareness of the actual landscape and plants, and care for human life, I'd say Indiana is lucky to have him guiding the next wave of poets.  

Take a look at this excerpt from a well-known poem of his, "Poem to My Child, If Ever You Shall Be." You can find the entire poem on the Poetry Foundation site. 

Would you curse me my careless caressing you
into this world or would you rise up
 
and, mustering all your strength into that tiny throat
which one day, no doubt, would grow big and strong,
 
scream and scream and scream until you break the back of one injustice,
or at least get to your knees to kiss back to life
 
some roadkill?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JM in IN

Poets from Indiana, John Matthias Wait, that's John Matthias. I know, you're probably like, why wasn't he the first poet on the list for Indiana? After all, he studied under John Berryman and Yvor Winters. He rubbed elbow patches with Robert Hass and Robert Pinsky. He was at Notre Dame when the MFA started, edited The Notre Dame   Review , and joked around with other amazing writers like Steve Tomasula and Joyelle McSweeney (I suppose, though I haven't heard any stories). And, finally, he's the poet that Robert Archambeau is always talking about, so you know his work is amazing .  He grew up in Ohio and went to The Ohio State U and Stanford, but he's been in South Bend long enough to be claimed as someone with "deep Indiana roots." I'm sure that some of his many books were written along the banks of the St. Joseph River.  One of my favorites is "After Quevedo." Quevedo himself writes insightfully about death, and Matthias' poem picks ...

ME in IN

 Poets from Indiana, Mari Evans OK, so she was born and educated in Ohio. I know, but she spent 70 years in Indianapolis, and that clearly puts her in that Indiana poet category, and Indiana needs poets like her to open itself up to the rest of the world. She was an activist, playwright, poet, children's author, and more. She was both politically/socially aware and joyous, and it can be hard to do both of those. Sonia Sanchez said of her at Evans' funeral, "We were reborn in your spreading sails." I suspect that a entire generation of writes fit under those sails, especially since she was a long-time teacher, writer, and supporter of others.  For a glimpse of her work, look at this excerpt from "I am a Black Woman:" I am a black woman tall as a cypress strong beyond all definition still defying place and time and circumstance assailed impervious indestructible Look on me and be renewed

KK in IN

 Poets from Indiana, Karen Kovacik This one, yes, this poet is fully Indiana. She was born in East Chicago, grew up in Highland, worked in Indianapolis, and lived in Crown Point. She even held the Indiana Poet Laureate position for a term. I suspect that sometimes her own work gets overshadowed by the wonderful translation work she does of Polish poets, but she's a excellent poet on her own. In fact, many classic images of The Region show up in her work, including some nice portraits of life both as a child and later as an adult coming to terms with her Polish heritage.   One of my favorites comes from her book Beyond the Velvet Curtain , and it's titled "Babel." Here's an excerpt.  Scum from the pickle crock, dumplings with plum the Slovak uncles tossing old Stephen to the celing, while the American daddy I thought was so smart shrieked dobry, dobry , like a dim bird from Bratislava, and Babcia flapped her veined, impatient hands at him.